© The Whole Story 2014
Description of Historic Place next next The Whole Story 1107 Wharf Street Heritage Value Character Defining Elements You are Home List of Services Photos of Victoria What's New! Current Projects Compensated Research Projects Whats Happened! Get in Touch
1107 Wharf Street is a one storey brick commercial building located on the east side of the street, facing the Inner Harbour. Its most notable features include brick construction, regularly spaced brick columns, dual entrance ways and large single assembly windows.
1107 Wharf Street is valued as an intrinsic part of one the finest early commercial streetscapes in Victoria which contributes significantly to the history and heritage of the Inner Harbour Precinct. Constructed in c.1860, during Victoria’s boom years of the late nineteenth century, this building preserves the architectural continuity of the street's harbour frontage, which speaks to the importance and grandeur of trade and shipping via the Inner Harbour. Access to the rear of this building via Helmcken Alley is also important as this exemplifies the network of Klondike-era courtyards and alleyways which are a trademark of Victoria’s historic infrastructure.  This building is also important for its relationship with other historic mercantile buildings located in close proximity to it and the harbour. The Rithet Building, to the north along Wharf Street at 1117-1125, with its association with R.P. Rithet and Albion Iron Works, and 1109 Wharf Street with its relationship with Richard Carr and the Hamilton Powder Company, speak to the importance and prominence of these buildings along Wharf Street and in the development of Victoria as a commercial and provincial capital. 1107 Wharf Street is also in very close proximity to other important historic structures in Victoria's Inner Harbour Precinct, including the Odd Fellows Hall, Hudson's Bay Warehouses and the Customs House. The historic Inner Harbour Precinct embodies the wholesale supply and trade networks which fueled the development and maintenance of the mines, logging camps and salmon canneries which drove the early economy in the province. Ships in the harbour doing business with these mercantile buildings would have been moored with shore ties as evidenced in the iron ring still in place in the shoreline rocks. This section of Wharf St. would also have played host to, and supplied, the thousands of prospectors lined up at Customs House across the street awaiting their chance at heading to the Klondike Gold Fields in the late 1800's. Previous research had identified 1107 Wharf Street as being associated with Richard Carr, However, subsequent investigations have revealed that the Carr building is situated directly to the north at 1109 Wharf Street. Current research has revealed that 1109 Wharf Street deserves the association with both Richard Carr and the Hamilton Powder Company.
The character-defining elements of the 1107 Wharf St. include: - Open views between this building and the water. - Its physical and historic relationships to Wharf Street, the Inner Harbour waterway, and to Helmcken Alley at rear. - Its sympathetic style with the rest of the historic buildings on the East side of Wharf Street. - Brick construction with granite foundation blocks. - Dual entrances and window placement evidencing its use as a small warehouse and storefront. - Front street columns with simple designs and capitals. - Two large single assembly windows on either side of the doors with half round spoked pediments. - Exposed brick and beams inside the building.
Maps City Directories Permits Building Plans Vital Statistics Reports Tax Assessment Reels Statements of Significance Research
1